This is our wonderful Blessed Theresa Caroline Gerhardinger Plaque. Also known as Blessed Mary Theresa of Jesus (1797-1879), she founded the School Sisters of Notre Dame who have now educated and empowered hundreds of thousands of girls. She was beatified (proclaimed “blessed”) by Pope John Paul II on November 17, 1985. This plaque is an ideal gift for a birthday, confirmation gift, Christmas (a great Christmas stocking), and for the feast day of Blessed Theresa on May 9th.
A Wall Plaque in Three Sizes
Available in three sizes – small (p169k – 2 x 1.6 inches), medium (p106m – 3.75 x 3 inches) and large (p556g – 7.9 x 6.3 inches), this solid bronze plaque will hang with ease on any wall in home, office, or studio. This solid bronze plaque – designed and realized by a master bronzesmith in Germany – is a wonderful gift for any supporter of the School Sisters of Notre Dame as well as for that special “Theresa” in your life.
Girl Power and Nun Power
This plaque depicts Mother Theresa Caroline Gerhardinger (in German: Mutter Theresia Carolina Gerhardinger) surrounded by the School Sisters of Notre Dame and their female students. Blessed Theresa gradually felt called to found this religious community with the mission of remedying social and economic inequality through the education of girls and helping them to realize their greatest potential. From 1840 to 1880, millions of Germans immigrated to the U.S. Blessed Theresa and her congregation were part of this great wave of immigrants. When Mother Theresa died in 1879, her congregation numbered more than 2500. The School Sisters educated girls in elementary schools, orphanages, industrial schools and day nurseries and helped to foster the spread of the Kindergarten. They also provided homes and night schools for girls working in factories so that they could receive a basic education. Since Blessed Theresa was convinced that a woman could better understand, direct and motivate her sisters, she ensured in the Constitution of the School Sisters of Notre Dame (approved by Pope Pius IX in 1865) that she and her successors – rather than any local bishop – would govern the congregation.